In 1922, when the Transfer Market opened at this location, the corner of Monroe and Broadway was one of the busiest commercial intersections in the city. All cross city trolley and streetcar traffic transferred at the corner and local merchants did very well.
Many remnants of the tavern and market remain in the restaurant today. The large buffet in the dining room was a cigar case (our front desk, also a cigar case, came from competitor P.M. Jacoy's) and our mahogany wine cooler served the Pastime for five decades. The stamped tin ceilings and flooring are both original, while the antique bar in the lounge came from the long gone 3B's tavern in downtown Spokane. The pictures and memorabilia on our walls were collected locally and reflect the historical period of the tavern operation.
Milford's was previously the Pastime Tavern which began on this site in 1911. During Prohibition, the Tavern became the Pastime Cigar Store and in 1922 moved across the street temporarily while this present building was constructed. Our back bar is one of the cigar cases used by the Pastime.
With the repeal of Prohibition, the Pastime once again sold beer and wine, receiving the second tavern license issued in Spokane. It operated until 1979, when the Pastime license was transferred to Milford's.
Our antique bar and mahogany cooler were installed in the 1930's. The southern addition to Milford's, which houses our kitchen, was built in 1937. Back then, it contained a pool room connected to the tavern and a sporting goods store in the rear. At that time, our lobby was a barber shop and now displays a 1947 sportsman's calendar, "To a Good Sportsman from Oscar Wordal's Pastime Cigar & Sporting Goods, Beer & Wine."
We at Milford's hope to serve you quality food in a friendly, efficient manner reminiscent of that period.
Milford's Fish House ~
719 North Monroe Street ~
Spokane, WA 99201
Phone: 509.326.7251 ~